Oven Baked Onion Rings
Recipe By: M. Koch, Eat What You LovePosted by LDHawke98
1 large sweet onion (about 1 pound) or 2 medium, peeled
6 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
6 Tbsp. finely crushed cornflakes (3/4 cup whole flakes, crushed)
4 tsp. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of black pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup buttermilk or make substitute buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a wire rack with cooking spray and place on top of a baking sheet.
2. Turning the onion onto its side, cut 1-inch thick slices. Gently separate the onion slices into rings.
3. In a wide, shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cornflakes, cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne and black pepper.
4. In a small bowl whisk the flour into the buttermilk. Dip each onion ring into the buttermilk mixture and then into the crumb mixture to coat. Place on the wire rack. Repeat the process for all of the onion rings. Spray the onion rings thoroughly with cooking spray (a quick spray of cooking spray while coating will also help the crumbs to stick).
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the onion rings over and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
Makes 4 Servings
Calories = 125; Carbs = 25g; Sugar = 9g; Fat = 2g; Protein = 4g; Fiber = 3g; Cholesterol = 0mg;
Sodium = 260mg