Banoffee PieTotal time: 1 hour and 15 minutes Hands on: 15 minutes Serves: 8-12
- 18 McVitie’s Digestive Biscuits (about 2/3 of a 14-ounce package)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 14-ounce cans dulce de leche
- 3-4 perfectly ripe bananas
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
Crumble the biscuits into a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Combine with melted butter in a bowl. Press this mixture with a spoon on the bottom and sides of a 9- or 10-inch tart mold with a removable bottom. Cover and chill for 45 minutes, until firm.
Spread the dulce de leche along the bottom of the tart. Slice bananas and spread in a single layer over the dulce de leche. Whip cream (I prefer it unsweetened, but you may want to add a spoonful of sugar) until it peaks. Spread the cream over the bananas, making sure to cover them fully to prevent them from browning. Decorate with grated chocolate. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. (You can also make the pie the day before.) When you remove the side, the edges may be a little crumbly, but that is the charm of banoffee pie. Serve icebox cold.
- by John Kessler for the Food & More blog